Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Bicycles ( Thanks to Nikki Giovanni)

In my 28 years of living I never owned a bike in my life. Actually my three siblings and I never had a bike we could call our own. Mami couldn't afford it. Yet that didn't stop us from riding one. Thanks to the community of friends who let us borrow theirs surrounding the few blocks that made up Hunts Point we learned. Early on, I was desperate to learn to ride a bike. I watched all my friends get up and go their merry way up and down the street blocks. I envied their carefree attitudes. "I wanted what they had...the freedom to ride." So I got the nerve to ask my friend to give me one ride. I wanted it real bad. I couldnt help myself. I was itching to ride. And when I did. it felt good!! That was the best ride of my life! lol Okay, maybe not the best but I always remember that day like it was an adventure...a climb up Mt. Everest. I was so proud of myself.

I learned to trust my body by balancing on a friend's two wheels. I wanted that part of my childhood back. That moment in time as an eleven year old (before the sexual abuse and internalized self-loathing) where I did not second guess myself or doubt my greatness.

I listened to the inner-chica in me and did just that. Eight weeks ago I went into Target like a kid in FAO Schwartz (or Toys R Us). Trying on bikes like a diva tries on shoes. And found the bike that was just right. I got on that bike like I been riding for years! It felt so good to ride...free. I loved myself enough to believe in myself and seek balance in order to ride freely down the Philly streets!! I learned that bicycles, like love, requires trust and balance (Nikki Giovanni).



with courage,
rebel poet

No comments:

Post a Comment