Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Simple Joy


My niece, Bri, loves oatmeal..she can eat it all times of the day. Now what she loves more than oatmeal. Besides Spongebob and Dora the explorer is finishing her meal, wiping the plate clean and running to her beba, tias, and daddy. "Look, look, I finished" she says. And we begin to scream and clap. We started this when she was just a few months old. Now she is 4 1/2 years old and she craves for this recognition. I love it!! Something so simple as that...Don't you know it's the simple things that bring us joy.

Take some time to appreciate the simple things in life. Or consider simplifying your life. Check out one of my favorite blogs that is all about finding peace through living life simply: Zen Habits. One way I live simply is by eliminating clutter often. For example, I get rid of at least one large trash bag filled with clothes, bags, jewelry and accessories 2-3 times a year. It really brings me joy knowing that I have less and less stuff to worry about filling up my closet. It also feels good knowing that I keep the clothes and things that I really cherish.

Today, I am working to develop a daily meditation practice by waking up early and being productive by focusing on my needs. NOT waking up early to complete work tasks but to meditate, practice yoga, and even exercise. Living simply is about putting yourself first and doing away with the mindless desire to fall into the capitalist traps of consumption.

We can learn so much from one another. I believe we always learn more from our young people. What have you learned from the little ones in your life lately? What will you do to simplify your life? I'd love to hear all about it. :-)



with courage & love,
b

No comments:

Post a Comment