Wednesday, January 12, 2011

new year, new you



start
almost there
you have reached
the finish line to
new beginnings
a fresh start
unfamiliar terrain
bienvenidos
welcome
to a new life
a path
that you've never been
open the door
go 'head
knock
all you have to do
is enter the door
to a new you.

we are 12 days in to the new year. it finally feels like 2011 to me, today! it took me some time to warm up. because i started my new intentions mid-december 2010. i did not set resolutions. i am allergic to those. but i set intentions and goals for myself. in a few simple words: balance, courage, and peace.

balance: i returned to a meditation practice and begun attending buddhist meetings with a friend. chanting has brought me to life! i've also been going to the gym 3xs a week since November. which has brought me a discipline and structure that i knew i needed but was hesistant to do. the unknown held me back. now it has finally helped me deal with my depression and anxiety in a new and liberating way!

courage: i promised myself i will try NEW things. even if it scares me. i read my poem aloud in a crowd of strangers and i'm taking a drawing class in an arts studio (keeping my fingers crossed that i finish the class). which also means i have to get my driver's license this year and study and take my GRE exam. i don't wanna be 50 years old riding the bus! :-D

peace: living and being peace amidst the chaos or joy in my life. for instance, finding peace in the simple things, creating healthy boundaries, committing to a daily meditation practice. also, with balance and courage i believe i can achieve ultimate peace.

the image above is my front door. the front door represents a new beginning for me. when i opened the door it felt like the very first time. a new year, a new me!

i've been living in our new home (with my partner of 6 yrs) for 14 months. but today my door looked very different. this is why i love photography. it is the lens i wear to look at the world the way i want to see it! the way i believe it to be! Try it! Use your cell phone camera or a point-n-shoot. Or draw the image of a door!

have you opened your doors to new beginnings yet? if so, share your experience. what are your intentions? if you haven't, when will you? The time is now to be the YOU you dreamed of.

always with courage,
Rebel Poeta

2 comments: