Saturday, October 16, 2010

Poetry in Motion: First Crush

I thought about you today
Better yet the deep end in the pit of my stomach did
it poked,yawned,burped,growled,cried,whaled
those noises I couldn’t control
like the anguish you hear when wolves cry out to their loved ones
feelings resurfaced
like the earthworms after a rainstorm
feelings of glee and joy
I was the new puppy on its way to its new family
My love for you never parted.
It just went into hibernation with the bears
It emerged on this Indian summer day in November

They hid in the mines of my soft spot….My heart
In hopes never to return again
But no those suckers couldn’t contain themselves
One smile from you ….My wall came crashing
Like the Berlin Wall did 20 years ago
Without a moment to soon
Those butterflies rushed back into my heart
How foolish of me…to think that I could control matters of the heart

I remember your warm embrace
The smell of your hair
I remember being tucked under your left arm
As I pretended to sleep
I inhaled the beautiful smell of peppermint in your hair
I nuzzled tightly under your skin
So that I can remember
This moment
Why couldn’t we be together?
She had you
I had another
We never gave it a chance

We knew we couldn’t be together
We held on tight
Hoping we could freeze time
I still close my eyes when I hug someone
the smell of peppermint
the breeze of this Indian Summer Day
And imagine them being you
(written November 10, 2009)

No comments:

Post a Comment